Terms of Trade
- Miscanthus plants and rhizomes sold by MNZ are provided for the sole use of the purchaser and may not be replicated or reproduced for any other user, either for sale or as a gift.
- Arrangements can be made with selected growers who wish to become plant production agents providing MNZ is satisfied with their capabilities and their business ethics.
- All plants and rhizomes remain the property of MNZ until full payment for them has been received by MNZ.
- Confirmation of orders is by way of a 50% deposit of the quoted price.
- For advance orders 50% is payable on receipt of the order with 30% being divided into monthly progress payments between initial order and delivery. The final 20% is payable on delivery
- Overall pricing is dependent on the numbers being ordered in any one order.
- The minimum number of plants in any one order is 2000 and there will be no exceptions to this other than for approved research institutions.
- Pricing is on a sliding scale ranging from $950 per thousand for 2000 plants to $580 per thousand for 20,000 or more plants.
- MNZ is willing to negotiate to supply an increasing proportion of any order greater than 50,000 plants as rhizomes.
- Rhizome prices will be no more than $250 per thousand and may be even lower for large numbers.
- For serious growers, MNZ will be happy to discuss pricing for rhizomes with the assurance that the resulting price per hectare should be less than half the per hectare cost of planting with plantlets.
- Forward purchase contracts for commercial scale numbers will attract a discount if ordered and confirmed with deposit at least 6 months prior to delivery date.
- All pricing is ex nursery and is exclusive of GST. Freight will be charged at cost.
While rhizomes may be produced from any of several sites, the plantlets are produced by Seedling Systems Limited (SSL), a very high production and efficient nursery that has been growing Miscanthus since MNZ brought in the first plants. SSL is located on Glenbrook Beach Road and organises efficient freight transport of the resulting plantlets to the destination. SSL has developed techniques for Miscanthus multiplication that are relatively efficient and hence cost-effective, but is always striving to improve the process and hence reduce costs.
MNZ has sufficient plantlets or rhizomes available for whatever size planting is needed, confident in the knowledge that if a significant scale up is needed quickly, we can utilise the services of our partner tissue culture laboratory, Multiflora. As with SSL, Multiflora has developed techniques for efficient multiplication of Miscanthus and has worked with SSL to keep the overall cost of plantlets as low as possible.
Customers who wish to plant reasonable areas of Miscanthus are strongly advised to have a feasibility study completed prior to finalising the decision to establish Miscanthus. MNZ carries out such feasibility studies for prospective growers for $3,000 plus GST plus disbursements. Typically this would total less than $3,300 plus GST, with 50% payable on commissioning the study and the balance being payable on receipt of the report. As well as reporting on the feasibility of establishing and managing Miscanthus on the site, the report will also include details of the local market for the Miscanthus feedstock that the landowner will produce. If requested MNZ will include a sample contract for purchase of the feedstock by / on behalf of a local end user. In special cases, MNZ has entered (and will enter) into a Miscanthus product offtake agreement to give the grower complete certainty of market.
MNZ also offers management services for commercial Miscanthus growers so that landowners can avoid having to worry about doing this. The management of Miscanthus is quite different from anything that they are likely to be used to. MNZ management contracts are for a minimum of three years.